[DuoList] New and even more exciting issues with my 2400c...

Scott Strungis sstrungis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:35:47 PST 2005

Hi all,

To round out my testing with wired Ethernet cards, I did a clean
installation of Mac OS 9.1 today and then installed the Farallon
drivers.  I downloaded a fresh copy of the drivers right from the
Proxm website to rule out corruption.  I got the same results.  No
Alternate Ethernet or Farallon Ethernet in TCP/IP.  All of the
requisite extensions having to do with Farallon are enabled in the
Extensions Manager.

While I was downloading a copy of the 7.6.1 updater for my 2400c (that
system's on a smaller partition for emergencies and quick work), the
HD kept spinning down, and coming back up.  Eventually it made a
really loud "access noise" and came back.  This happened twice inside
of 5 minutes.  I shut down quickly as my file transfer was just
ending.  Prior to this my 2400c had been running for about 4 hours
nonstop, no sleep or anything.  I suspect it might be a heat issue so
I am posting this from my 3400c.

All of my important stuff is backed up and I may go back to the 3400c
for day to day use until I get a little feedback from you all.

Is my HD going?  Is it hard to install a new one in my 2400c by
myself.  Is Wegener Media a good place to shop for PowerBook HDs?

Any advice would be great, I don't want to kill or GLOD my PowerBook.
The DT&T repair would be more than the PowerBook is worth!

Thanks,
Scott