[DuoList] Thanks everybody. Problem solved.

Iman Bhullar imansingh at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 13:54:16 PST 2005

Thanks so much to everyone who replied.

Rule 1: computers always fail when you can least
afford for them to.

Rule 2: after you've freaked out for a full day and
figured out how to solve the problem by other means,
the damned things works fine.

Yep, I came home last night half-drunk from
celebrating FINALLY finishing (a good draft) of my
thesis (I spent almost every day of a full year on
it). I tried the zip drive and it worked fine. I was
pretty tipsy so I could hardly believe it at first
(the screen was pretty blurry and I thought maybe I
was dreaming) - but I had the proof on disk this
morning.

The thesis has now been sent off to a professor so he
can comment on it over the weekend.

During the day yesterday (between bouts of freaking
out) I found an extension called "666" (actually a
little square symbol followed by "666"). Who would
name an extension 666? I thought it had to be
something bad so I moved it over to the Trash. That
may have had something to do with it.

I'm pretty sure this 666 thing is bad news. It keeps
popping back up in the folder even though I moved it
to the Trash - so I just move the new copy into the
trash as well.

Anyways, thank you guys.

Iman