[DuoList] 280c 'boing' sound + question mark

Lela Tong artofbusiness_computer at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 01:01:24 PST 2005

Hi y'all,

I shut the machine down for the past few days.

In listening for the spinning noise -- there is a slight initial whirl, but it's very very brief -- thus, no, the disk is not spinning normally.  The boing boing sound is still present -- but now, there's a new sound of a slight grinding noise.

Any advice?

"Ronald P. Pfister" <ronald.pfister at pelagic.net> wrote:
Maybe your disk's bearings froze - quite common with non-fdb disks
after long storage periods. Can you hear the disk spinning up when
the machine turns on?

On Nov 4, 2005, at 01:35, Lela Tong wrote:

> My 280c has been sitting in my closet for a few years.
>
> I turned it on to get some files which I left on it. Strangely, as
> soon as I plugged in the power cord, the machine switched on
> (without my pressing the 'on') and the floppy icon came up with a
> question mark. And, the sound 'boing boing boing...' kept going.
>
> I tried to insert the Disk Tools and clicked Disk First Aid but no
> volumes showed up except the external floppy drive. And, when I
> tried to click the Apple HD SC Setup -- there was a flash of all
> the buttons (allowing a click) but it all dimmed except "Quit" and
> "Drive." When I clicked "Drive" the message "unable to locate a
> suitable drive connected to SCSI port."
>
> Also, on a re-boot or to press the 'on' button after shutdown, no
> icon appears but a lit blank screen comes up. The only way to get
> the icon with the question mark is to completely unplug the
> computer and to replug it.
>
> I fear the worse -- any helpful hints on how I can fix this?
>
> Lela

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: