[DuoList] 2400

Gene Osburn mac4gman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 08:44:46 PST 2005

> 2gb hdd 240cpu 80mb ram card bus done good battery  no os

Is the CPU an original 603e 240 or the NewerTech G3?  If you got one of
the (Japanese market only) 603e "Mighty Cat" 240"s I'm *SO* jealous...!

> First what is going to be the best os for this book.

Custom Install of OS 8.6 -- winnow out the parts you know you won't
need.  For example: Web Sharing, ColorSync, English Speech Recognition,
etc.  You might be surprised by how much useless stuff gets installed
with Easy Install.  Whichever OS you go with (9.1's OK as a second
choice, but 8.6 *IS* the best) your goal would be to reduce the RAM
footprint as much as possible; the stock max of 80 MB should be
adequate for your intended uses.

> whats is the best type of wifi card

The best would be MacSense's AeroCard Plus, hands down.  Perhaps 20-25%
stronger signal reception than the WaveLAN/Orinoco-based cards,
although those cards work fine as well.  AeroCards typically cost more,
though; and it's harder to find a bargain price on one.

> any hints to using them The closest to the 2400 i have used is a 3400
> (which i love) but the ram is less also the hdd and i really do not
> want to crack the 2400 open . I just want to use it as is

As I already said, reduce the OS RAM requirements as much as possible.
If you feel over your head on choosing what to leave out I can do a
test install of 8.6 on my 3400 and make itemized notes on which parts
to disable.

My second major recommendation would be to shop for a high speed
Compact Flash card (40X or greater) and a PCMCIA adapter to use it a
your boot drive.  You'd need at least a 512 MB card -- 1 MB would be
best.  Your 2400 would be appreciably quicker and run in virtual
silence, and battery life would be extended as well.  More details upon
request.

Gene Osburn
Friends don't let friends do Windows