[DuoList] Re: 2400 (Gene Osburn)

Harbourmaster san2c at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 25 10:55:08 PST 2005

>>Greetings. I am also about ready to jump on the CompactFlash
>>boot-drive bandwagon for my 2400 (which I love!). Just to clarify,
>>however, when you say "run the OS installer," are you saying I
>>don't/can't just COPY the OS and apps from my hard drive to the CF
>>card, and then assign the CF as the boot drive from the Startup
>>Disk Control Panel? I have to actually INSTALL the OS onto the CF
>>card first? I have the 1GB hard drive (thinking about up-grading
>>this, too, after a while), and have it configured just about the
>>way I want it (running OS 8.6, apps, etc.-even iTunes 1.1 using the
>>iTunes for OS 8 patch!). I was going to just format the CF card and
>>then drag all the contents from my HD over. But you seem to be
>>suggesting that this approach won't work. Could you correct my
>>impression?
>
>Sure, copying your System Folder will work fine.  I tend to think in
>terms of fresh install, to get just the System Folder contents
>wanted/needed for a particular Mac -- nothing more, nothing less.

Copying a system folder from the active startup drive can cause problems.

To ensure a trouble free drag and drop copy you should boot from a
startup partition (or CD, external drive etc)   other than the one
you want to use for your drag and drop copy.

I ran my Lombard from a 256MB CF card for some time without trouble
and with a nice boost in speed.

Now with the drop in price of the larger high speed CF cards I think
this is a great solution for increased performance with a 2400!

--
Aloha, Ken

  "I am a trained professional technical person, with a long history
of experience doing technical things with technical...things. If, due
to your incompetence, ineptitude, and inferiority, you follow these
directions and fail to have the same result, any results you do have,
up to and including dying, killing everyone around you, or
supergluing your iSight to your ear, I am in no way liable. I would
like pictures, though."