[DuoList] farallon ethernet card drivers?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Sat Nov 26 13:30:01 PST 2005

Gene Osburn wrote:

>> Greetings list. I'm a powerbook noob with a 280c and duodock (not 2).
>> It  includes a farallon nubus ethernet card which copious googling
>> suggests should work but I can't figure the darn thing out.
>>  Does it require extra drivers or some special configuration?
>

> I'm not sure if there are special Farallon drivers, but I do remember
> that  System 7.5.x through OS 8.x have an assortment of Ethernet
> extensions.   One of them is marked NB (for NuBus) and you should check
> if it's  currently installed in your System Folder.

Definitely not in there.

  If not, do a Custom
> Install or  just use TomeViewer to pluck it out of the System Software
> tome in the  installer folder of your OS CD....

well, this is a freebie from a friend and comes as is... i.e. no disks.
and only a 1.4M floppy in the dock. hmmm...

another thing occurs to me. I am assuming that the rj45 jack on this
card should just plug in to any ethernet hub. however, in reviewing the
manuals from apple website, I see an arrangement that looks like a token
ring setup with transceivers at each machine etc. Might I be looking at
a cable/hardware issue and not a driver issue? The OS recognizes that it
has ethernet capability when in the dock (ethernet options show up in
tcp/ip and appletalk control panels, but are gone when not docked) but
when I plugin to my hub, no lights, no connections.  any thoughts?