[DuoList] Will just about any 2.5", 5400RPM ATA hard drive work in PB2400c?

Gary F. Daught gfdaught at charter.net
Sun Oct 30 06:40:14 PST 2005

Greetings. Starting to collect info on a possible hard drive upgrade
for my PB2400c. I know I need a 2.5" ATA drive, and someone suggested
that I look for 5,400 RPM. I'm looking at some on newegg.com. New
name brand 40GB notebook drives are running around $60-70.  I don't
see any distinction being made between PC and Mac, so I assume this
doesn't matter (they are labeled ATA-6, is this right?).  Anything I
need to be attentive to otherwise for the 2400c? Any recommendations—
Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Samsung, Western Digital?

Someone on powerbooks list mentioned ATA-5, so I guess there is
definitely a concern that I get a drive compatible with my 'Book's
ATA controller chip set. Don't know anything about it, so I thought I
would post to the Duo List for some focused feedback regarding a
2400c. Thanks!

Gary F. Daught
gfdaught at charter.net