[DuoList] WTB: 2400c board and proc

Josh Keady joshkeady at msn.com
Tue Sep 6 16:36:24 PDT 2005

It GLODs intermittently and I cannot make it work consistently.  I've
had it apart about 3 times, trying various things, and unless it is
the RAM, I assume it is either the board or processor.

When the machine has power, the power button on the keyboard has no
effect.  However, you can press the hard-power button on the back
panel and the green light will come on and stay solid.  If you press
the hard power button again, the speaker will pop and the light will
go out.  I was thinking maybe it was the AC power connection, but the
same effect was had with a charged battery.

It's been like this for about a year and I've only successfully
gotten it to boot about 4 times.  If you let it sit with no power for
about 3 months, you can usually get it to boot after about 10 minutes
of fooling with the right combination of taking the battery out,
plugging it in, putting the battery in, praying to the right god, and
orientating it with certain heavenly bodies.  The last time I booted
it was about 2 weeks ago when I put a new PRAM battery in it.  It
started up with some process that I'll call "luck", I used it for
about an hour, shut it down, and haven't been able to reboot it
since.  Some time ago I tried running it with no PRAM battery plugged
in, and it seemed to work okay, but it froze on waking from sleep,
and I was only able to reboot once after that, whereupon it froze
during the boot process.

It kind of acts like a terminally fubared power manager, which I
suppose it could be.  I believe there is something fairly seriously
wrong, however, as I heard a capacitor (at least I assume that's what
it was) squealing like mad when I was last trying to get the little
bugger running.  I've tried it with three different power supplies,
there was no difference in behavior with any of them.  I've gone so
far as to strip it down to the chassis, unseat and reseat the
processor, and do the same with the memory and all of the internal
cable connections.  No effect.

So, my decision is, rather than keep screwing with it, I'm going to
just take advantage of the (really great) deal I was offered on the
list and do a 'replacement'.  I've not really owned a PowerBook that
I like as much as the 2400, so never mind moving on.  Actually, my
first laptop was a Duo 230, then a gigantic PowerBook 540c, then a
Duo 2300c which I really really liked, and when I finally did that
one in (actually, I just left it someplace where a glass of water
could be easily spilled in to it... then a glass of water was spilled
in to it), I moved on to my 2400c which I absolutely love.  My job
let's me make use of a dual-USB iBook, which I traded to from the 500
MHz Pismo I was using, but none of them are quite as comfortable as
the 2400.

So enough of my life story... thanks for all of the response, folks!

Josh