[DuoList] Does the duo 280c have the old sound chip that allows it play older mac games?

Thomas Chan tomchan79 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 06:14:40 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to play some old games that don't work properly (no sound) on
my powermac g3, especially the game NetTrek (avaliable for free at
http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?%20show=game&id=98) among others

The powerbook duo 280c seems to fit the bill nicely, since I don't want
to take up room with a huge desktop just for a couple of games.

 From a post on comp.sys.mac.games:

"A number of games "broke" outright when the original AV Macs came out
for two main reasons: they didn't have the old sound chip the other Macs
had, and they used the new SoundManager 3.0 (in their ROMs) to handle
sound. ALL the new Macs -- the PowerBook 500 series and the
PowerPC-based models -- now share this problem"

I was wondering if anyone knows if the powerbook duo 280c has the old or
new sound chip.

If you happen to have run netflix on a powerbook duo 280 with sound, it
means it has the old sound chip.

The website http://mac.the-underdogs.org  has many old mac games that
are "abadonware" and avaliable for download.

Thank you so much for your help!  I really appreciate it!

Here's a link to the comp.sys.mac.games post with a list of all "broken"
games.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.games/browse_thread/thread/1ae01c346bf6b364/3653eb0813728e2d?lnk=st&q=%22MAC+INCOMPATIBLE+GAMES+LIST%22&rnum=2&hl=en#3653eb0813728e2d