[DuoList] 2400 disassembly help?

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 17:10:35 PST 2006

>Sooner or later I'll remember to enter a Subject BEFORE clicking
>Send....
>
>OK, making progress taking apart my 2400c Comet for case painting mod.
>Lower case open with palmrest, keyboard, etc. removed (all screws
>carefully numbered and taped together in order of removal).
>
>Display is still connected, but only via ribbon cable.  First question:
>what's the safest way to disconnect LCD ribbon cable? Do I need to
>remove the subassembly structure that runs across the lower case below
>the display?

It's been a long time since I've done it, but if I recall, you don't
need to remove the metal piece in order to disconnect the display cable.
If it's clearly on top of the display cable and needs to come off, the
two sockets on the board can be removed by using your fingernails to
lift straight up.

>Looks like this would allow me to safely disconnect the
>ribbon cable from the mobo; am I right?  Will I then be able to remove
>the lower case's rear panel, thereby having the casing's bottom panel
>separated from everything else (for masking and painting)?

If you haven't done so already, I very strongly recommend reading the
step-by-step takeapart I wrote, here: <http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/
mac2400/piecemeal.html>. Read it all the way through before proceeding
and it will give you a good idea of what's left that you need to do. If
you have any questions after that, I'd be happy to answer them.

Best,
Ivan.

Ivan Drucker
IvanExpert Consulting