[DuoList] slow Finder

Art Rice artrice66 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 00:03:56 PDT 2007

I don't have a lot of experience with Mac's but I do with memory limited PC's. I would definitely empty the trash bin, and any temporary internet files (if you are using the internet), and other temporary files that you are sure aren't needed. Of course, if you trashed the icon for the hard drive, restore it first; since you rebuilt the desktop you probably have restored the icon already. After you get rid of all the temp files, power down the Mac, wait a bit, and then reboot.
  If you have anything like a "Favorites" internet sites list, try and get rid of the excess never used stuff. This may not solve a more serious problem with the file structure, but it should help otherwise.
  Uninstalling programs you never use will help reduce the garbage on the hard drive.
  Almost forgot, if you use internet, get rid of all the cookies every day. They will slow down your computer a lot.
  Art is Silicon Valley

mko at nt.net wrote:
  >It's alive the list is
>alive.

Yes! Nice to see what a little poke can do.
:^,~

While we're all here, I'll lob a little prob:

My OS9 Finder has slowed down to a pubcrawl.
When I doubleclick an app alias on my desktop,
or use the Recent Apps under the Apple Menu,
nothing happens for at least 10 seconds. The
Finder itself is live; I can drag/draw rectangles
while I'm waiting, as a test.
I use a USB Cardbus which I trash/eject before
I pack up the p'book. A month ago I must've
trashed the hard drive icon by mistake, because I
got the dreaded box.
I'm 80% sure this caused my slowdown, and I'm
90% sure that the cure is a re-install of OS9, but
I thought I'd fish for a simpler fix first.
I already rebuilt the desktop, and zapped the pram.
No joy. I mean, what could it possibly be doing for
10 secs? That's like forever in dog-years. Is it a
memory thing? Broken alias thing?

p.s. there's 7.28 gigs in my Trash. That wouldn't
do something bad, would it? I hate to throw
anything out...

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: