[DuoList] Re: Duos for Donation

allenpau at wellsfargo.com allenpau at wellsfargo.com
Thu Oct 18 15:59:40 PDT 2007

Rich Wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I found out that I was burning Mac OS extended
CD-Rs and my power mac will only read Mac OS CD's.  I burned a Mac OS
C-R on Toast lite and the Power Mac read it fine.  I have the power mac
and the Duo connected via ethernet, but I still need to do a clean
install on the Duos.  I haven't checked out the USB drive since the
nearest computer stores are Circuit City and Best Buy which are 40
minutes away and I am not sure they would carry them.  I have a OS 8.0,
but how I can use it on the power mac to install on the duo?

Rich

Rich,
Remember, not all Duo's can do OS 8. Only the 280 and 2300, if memory
serves, and only if they have enough memory. If you have a floppy drive
for the Duo's on the dock, then looks for the Network Boot Disk on
Gamba's site (search up gamba.) It will let you boot into a very basic
version of OS 7.5.3. You can then format the hard drives in the Duo's
and then copy the floppy's contents onto the Duo's hard drive. They will
boot from that OS. If you have Tome viewer(easily found on the net, look
at OS 9 Forever web page), you can then extract out extentions, control
panels etc. on you power Mac to floppy's and copy them to the duo's
system folder. This is a bit complicated, buy it works. And they need to
be file from a version of OS 7. All this is barring your ability to
connect an external cd drive to the Dock to facilitate an installation
from a cd. Another option is to put the Duo's in the dock, (does it have
a db25 scsi connector?) connect it to the scsi port on the ppc, start
the ppc then start the duo in the dock and install the OS in what is
called "target disk mode". It basically means that the ppc looks at the
duo in the dock like an external hdd. By the way, if your ppc is a 6100,
then it is a first generation ppc and is non pci. It's nubus and there
is no such thing at this time as usb for nubus, though strangly there is
a guy who has developed a card for the Apple II that has a USB port and
also an adapter to read complact flash cards.