[DuoList] New Duo 280c Owner - Questions

Richard Chisholm Jr sweetbearcub at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:07:33 PST 2008

Hi.

As of last night, I bought three working vintage Mac laptops via Craigslist.
A PowerBook Duo 280c, a Duo 270c, and a PowerBook 145. From the specs on
LowEndMac, the 280c appears to be the newest model.

The 145 and the Duo 270c had batteries in them, the 280c did not. I swapped
the battery over to the 280c. The power adapter was for the 270c, but works
on the 280c. I have not tried to power up the 145, since it appears that I
don't have the proper power adapter. In the bag there was also a dock for
the Duos, which appears to be a simple port replicator. I attached it to the
280c, and now it's stuck on. (Oops!) That doesn't seem to be a problem
though.

The bag also included an external 3.5" drive, which attaches to the dock.

As of now, I'm focusing on the 280c, since it seems to have the most
potential. According to "About this computer" in the Apple menu (Why doesn't
it say "About this Mac"?) it has 40,960 KB of memory, which LEM says is the
max for this model.

In reading the articles about it last night, it appears that it can be
upgraded to a PowerPC processor by swapping in a Duo 2300c logic board. For
a system that I bought solely to tinker with, is that feasible? If so, how
do I obtain a donor logic board and where are the instructions to accomplish
the upgrade?

These aremy very first Macs, so wish me luck!

Richard