[DuoList] Is the old gang still around?

sir izaac sirizaac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 02:12:14 PST 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 0:59, Richard Chisholm Jr <sweetbearcub at gmail.com>
wrote:

 > Good luck on reviving your 280c. Sadly I have no useful
troubleshooting
advice to offer you, other than a reminder that old hard drives
lubricant
material sometimes gums up, stopping the motor from being able to spin
up
the drive due to the friction. This phenomenon was known as
'stiction'. In some cases, the drive can be coaxed to life by moving
it to a warmer
environment, or by the application of proper percussive maintenance.
If so,
get all your data off it and replace it ASAP, as it will fail again.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the sticktion problem. I'll try a warmer
environment as well as a bit of slight shaking and tapping in an
effort to free off the motor. Might a 6GB harddrive from a 2400c be
recognized by the Duo 280c in case a drive swap is required?

 > I'm still amazed my Duo 280c runs. It looks like someone took it
out of 1994
and put it in a time capsule, complete with maxed RAM (40 MB total), a
charger, a MiniDock and 3.5" disk drive. All it needs is a battery.

True, I've got several needing to be recelled as well including one
from BTI.

 > It still boots and runs, MacOS 7.1.1. Now, if I only had something
productive for it to do, beyond sitting there looking pretty..

 > Someday soon I'll probably work  on getting it a battery and
replacing the
hard drive with a CompactFlash card, to make it more power efficient,
cooler, and more reliable. I know it's only a matter of time before
the hard
drive succumbs to senility; it's already ~15 years old.

 > I wonder if these machines will be collector's items in a few more
years, or if they will fade into obscurity?

Not sure. I like to think that they will still be around and in use
such as the Newton MessagePad (: