[DuoList] 2300c IDE Controller & ATA Versions

Keegan van der Laag kvanderlaag at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:07:06 PST 2010

 From my understanding, the IDE controller in the 2300c is ATA-2. I
bought a 2GB ATA-3 drive, and while it spins up, the 2300c doesn't
recognize it. It seems like it's trying to talk to it, since the damn
thing takes its sweet time booting with the drive in (sits at a blank
screen without even the flashing question mark disk for minutes at a
time) and Disk Setup in Disk Tools 2 doesn't see it. Two questions,
then: Does anyone know of a larger hard drive (ideally at least 2GB)
that's backwards compatible with ATA-2, or failing that, does anyone
have a working 750mb/1.1gb drive spare?

Sigh. This old machine seems determined to get the best of me.

Cheers,
Keegan