[DuoList] 270c not starting.

Fredric QJ Blåholtz e5frog at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 09:48:41 PDT 2013

I got this Powerbook Duo 270c from a friend who asked if I could have a
look at it as it wouldn't start. I assume it has been unused for some time.

Started by checking the PSU, seemed to output 24V fine. So what happens is
that the green LED on the screen lits and then there's nothing more.
Turning power off it flashes ones before going out. All I get apart from
the LED is a click somewhere in the left side, I assume it's a relay
perhaps that turns on when power is turned on.

I googled and then I tried opening and disconnect internal battery, power
cable and plain battery for 10 minutes, no difference. I removed the hard
drive and was planning to hook it to an adapter but it wasn't a 44 pin IDE
as I thought but a 40 pin SCSI connector, something not very usual. I just
thought I'd check if it would spin up but at the time I didn't feel like
hacking something up so I decided I would ask here.

I had 7.2V on the battery, 2.8V on the internal backup battery, have no
idea what it supposed to be. I'm guessing both batteries might be worn out
and possibly the hard drive as well.
Is it supposed to have no visible life other than the LED if the internal
battery and hard drive aren't working?

Also tried starting with the hard drive unhooked, no difference.

Who knows, maybe the screen backlight is broken as well...?

I have it standing with power connected, I'll see if it charges up and if
it makes any difference.

So, any pointers here?
Anything more I can try?

Thanks in advance.