[1394] Re: Firewire Formatting Utilities

jeff chasick jchasick at mac.com
Tue Dec 3 15:51:51 PST 2002

Format a drive, as in erase data from an existing drive so the drive is
wiped clean of information, or formatting a new drive so that it is HFS or
HFS+ formatted.  When you do a desktop erase drive to format it, what you
are left with is one drive partition which equals the size of the drive
minus some space that is taken up by the disk driver, etc. So an 80G drive
would format out to be like around 76-78G.

Partitioning means creating separate areas on the drive so that one drive
looks like multiple drives (say you have an 80G drive and you want to create
4-20G partitions on the drive so that when you mount the drive, four icons
appear, each being approx 20G in size)