[1394] Re: FireWire drive likes G3s, hates G4s

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Thu Apr 3 09:53:18 PST 2003

I use all ADS Pyro External Firewire drives, which use the Oxford 911
chip.

They functioned perfectly on all MacOS versions UNTIL 10.2.4. In
10.2.4, external FW drives will function at the get go, either booting
the drives before or after the computer, but with NO activity, it turns
out there is a glitch in 10.2.4 which issues a hardware level drive
shutdown command to the external FW drives. A guru on the forums of the
Mac Knowledgebase informed me of this problem. It is a fatal error, but
does NOT cause data damage as far as I have been able to tell with
many, many repetitions of the issue. The drive shutdown command is on a
timer, starting from the last drive access. As I recall it is 15
minutes, after which, all the external drives will be shut down (I have
5 ADS drives externally, all go away), but to OS 10.2.4, there is no
acknowledgment, and the drive icons remain. Trying to access a 10.2.4
shut down FW drive is a mixed bag. You'd expect a "wake from sleep"
thing... maybe yes, but usually NO. The forced shut down is NOT a
normal sleep mode, it appears, and thus, of my five drives, one, two,
maybe three might spin up, but usually more like one or two.

The solution maybe to make a constantly running Unix utility to poll
the external drives all the time, to keep the 10.2.4 counter from
hitting 15 minutes.

As to compatibility, the ADS drives have worked with TiBooks, G4
Desktops, and G3's around here.

Richard Brown