Bad Experience with Formac - Be Warned!

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Thu Feb 27 09:22:08 PST 2003

If you were like me looking to find an iDVD-type of software to run
on an external DVD drive then don't bother with Formac and their
Devideon software. 'Cause, if you don't like it or anything about
their external DVD drive package they will sting you with a 20%
restocking fee.

I purchased their external Pioneer DVD-105 based drive and software
and was disappointed in both the software and their external case
design. No deal on the price either as it was higher than most
packages at $399 but I thought if their Devideon software measured up
then it might be worth the extra dollars.

Poor external case design,  their extremely slow response to tech
support questions, Devideon software that was deadly slow and
unreliable encoding to MPEG2 showed me, in short order, that this was
not worth an extra money and I returned it for a refund.

Only after I returned it for a full refund did find out it was not to
be. Formac has a policy to charge a 20% restocking fee to everything
returned to them. Even though their Devideon software didn't perform
as advertised and their external case design was not acceptable.
IMHO. They refused to lower or even considering renegotiating the
restocking charge telling me there are - NO exceptions.

I feel the company misrepresented itself when I was not informed at
purchase (directly from Formac)  of this onerous restocking fee. If I
had known that, I would have given them a wide berth. I don't like
companies who try and hold you hostage to bad products with
outrageous restocking fees.

I ended up buying a bare Pioneer DVD-105 drive and an excellent
external case from FW Depot.

If you are interested in more detailed specifics of my situation with
Formac you can email me off the list and I would be happy to send
them to you.

Rod