[FW] F/W Video Cam for Back ups?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 20:48:58 PST 2004

On Dec 23, 2004, at 9:57 PM, Johns Maillist wrote:

> Many thanks!
> John
>
> On Dec 23, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Willie Mason wrote:
>
>> Figure on about 13gb's per hour.
>>
>> On Dec 23, 2004, at 5:36 AM, Johns Maillist wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Canon DV camera, ZR-90 and I am currently using 30 minute
>>> tapes.
>>> I am looking to learn about the options of backing up to this
>>> device, but do not know if it will work.  If it will, does anyone
>>> know the physical capacity of the various length tapes? I have about
>>> 60 GB's to back up, and need to know how many tapes I would need.

Considering the cost of the camera and the finite life of the record
heads, I'd suggest backups of computer data are a very costly use of
your camera. A DVD drive and a stack of DVD-RWs is a much more cost
effective solution. It might seem like a wise economy to use the one
device for two purposes, but when you consider the number of hours that
regular backups would put on the camera, its a false economy.

SR