Sharing Mac Firewire Drives still Slow?

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Thu Jan 15 07:38:31 PST 2004

Some time ago (July 2002) I contacted LaCie Technical Support about
slow file transfers involving Firewire drives over Ethernet between
Macs. They replied: "We have heard this issue before - a shared
firewire drive is very slow to access over a Appleshare network.
Unfortunately, it does seem to be related to the mac OS."
Is Firewire sharing still slow with OSX? I have since been relying on
SCSI and internal ATA for large file sharing (and CD/DVDs) and wonder
if things have changed.
DaleH