Unmountable FW drive--FireWire Digest #602

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Jul 23 23:48:41 PDT 2004

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA

On Jul 23, 2004, at 6:41 PM, Macintosh FireWire List wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:55:43 -0500
> Subject: Re: [1394] Re: FW mounting problem after improper put-away
> 10.1/10-.2
> From: Terry Harrison <1maniac at cox.net>
>
> re:  ext. firewire drive not mounting, which used to before improper
> put away

Do you have another Firewire case that you know is good... and a known
good drive?

If so, you might try putting your unmountable drive in the known good
case and see what happens.

If it mounts, you have some idea that the case is perhaps the problem
center.

I've got two Western Digital drives that I had to buy new cases for
after the Oxford 911 bridges (or something else) died.

Both seem to do fine, except that the 60GB seems to want to sleep when
I don't want it to.  I'll eventually try the "swap the drives and
cases" routine to see whether that makes a difference, but haven't had
time.

If you have an ATA based Mac with room for a second drive, you might
also try putting the drive in the Mac and see what happens.

If it mounts, you can off-load the data and then reformat, etc... put
back in Firewire case and see what happens from there.

Hope these ideas get you some where.

Ted.