[FW] Who makes a good drive and/or case

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 24 13:08:43 PDT 2004

I've got a firewire drive from ProMax that's a couple of years old that
I'm having trouble with. It started as  just being difficult to mount,
and progressed to occasionally locking up (the yellow light comes on
solid) and making strange head-moving sounds when nothing is being
written to the disk. Its not corrupting any data though. I suspect the
bridge, as its an IBM drive inside without a ton of use.

I wanted to pick up another firewire case to try to determine whether
the bridge or the drive itself is hosed, but when I started looking
around, I couldn't find much that looked decent. Lots of manufacturers
that I've never heard of that don't mention which chipset they're
using, etc.

Any thoughts on manufacturers to try or avoid?

Thanks,
SR