[FW] Trouble with Firewire on External Enclosure with serial ata

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 4 11:38:14 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 7:24 AM, Larry Blodgett wrote:

> I am always trying to keep up with the changing technology.  I changed
> as quick as I could to DDR from SDRAM.  Now I am in the process of
> learning and changing from IDE to serial ATA hard drives.  I bought a
> Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200G SATA/150 drive.  I have since then tried
> to adapt that new drive to my old IDE Macs.  I have little doubt it
> will slip directly into a G5, but I don't have one (someday I will).
> Here is the source of my trouble.  I have bought two adapters which
> plug into the SATA drive and allow my IDE cable to plug into the
> adapter.
>
> If I install it into my G4 the bus only sees 128 G.  That not so good.

You're limited by the G4's built-in IDE controller to only seeing 128
GB of the new drive. If you prefer to go the internal route you need to
return the Parallel to SATA convertors and purchase a Mac SATA PCI
controller. (This assumes that you have an open PCI slot.) MacSales
<http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/ATA-SCSI-Firewire-
Controllers/> has several for $58 to $80.

Phil