[G4] Any news on an 867DP?

Jim and Micky Richter richterboys at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 6 07:15:54 PST 2002

I got rid of my old Sawtooth 450 for a Dual 867 right after the 867's
started shipping a few months back.  I've had no problems with mine.
The only "complaint" is the cycling of the fan.  There are times that
the fan gets pretty loud (the machine is noticeably louder than my old
Sawtooth, which is one disadvantage since I use the 867 for audio
recording--definitely have to isolate the computer), but Apple recently
released a firmware update that should fix it (just haven't gotten
around to updating).

I have both Superdrive and the CD-RW/DVD drives in it and now truly
understand the convenience of having two drives.  Installing the extra
drive was a sinch, as it was in the older G4 form factor.  I found it a
little more difficult to install an extra hard drive due to the drive
carriage sitting vertically.  Installing RAM was simple, as was my PCI
cards.

I've noticed no funky software or hardware issues, outside of the
loudness of the fan, which Apple acknowledges, but says the loudness is
no indication of a problem with the machine.

Jim