[G4] Need Recommendations for Router, CD R/W Drive & Floppy

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Wed Dec 11 05:36:20 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "ro shriver" <ropho at yahoo.com>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [G4] Need Recommendations for Router, CD R/W Drive & Floppy

> Hello -
> I will soon be adding a cable modem to my household,
> and want to network a pc and a Mac 867 Quicksilver.
> What I'm needing to know is what do I need as far as a
> card or whatever in order to do this networking?  I'm
> aware wireless is available; however, I would be
> interested in other solutions as well.
> Thanks.
> ro

I'm networking my Quicksilver with my son's PC and also going wireless to my
laptop (Pismo). Your best bet, security wise is to get a router. That will
allow you to network the PC and QS with ethernet and keep everything secure
behind a hardware firewall. I'm currently using an Ansante 4 port
"FriendlyNet". The QS has Ethernet built in, the PC may need what is called
a Network Interface Card (NIC) setting up ethernet on the PC depends a lot
on what version of Windows you are using, but it's fairly straight forward.
Routers can cost between $59 and $159 and NIC cards are pretty cheap, under
$30.