Networking from afar....

dj moda djmoda at trancefusion.com
Wed Dec 11 10:48:32 PST 2002

I would appreciate any help with my situation....

I own two G4's running Jaguar and one 6400 Performa running 9.1. I have all
three of the macs properly connected to a 5 port Linksys ethernet hub which
is connected to my DSL via a Linksys DSL Router.

While one of the G4's and the 6400 are no more than 4 ft. away from the hub,
the other G4 is in another room connected to the hub via 100 ft. of ethernet
cable.

Here's my problem.....

While the DHCP recognizes all of the computers and assigns consecutive IP
addresses to them, I cannot access the internet nor can I network the G4
that is 100 ft from the hub. When I ping from the troubled G4, I am seeing a
heavy packet loss.

I've tested the cable with an ethernet tester, and it's fine. Does anyone
have any suggestions other than moving the G4 closer to the hub? I'm
connected via 24 AWG CAT 5 8-wire cable. Is there anything better?

MODA
Eric Reynolds
The Global Rhythm Movement
Trancefusion Music