[G4] Networking from afar....

J J jj4 at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 11 20:56:43 PST 2002

"Here's my problem.....

While the DHCP recognizes all of the computers and
assigns consecutive IP
addresses to them, I cannot access the internet
nor can I network the G4
that is 100 ft from the hub. When I ping from the
troubled G4, I am seeing a
heavy packet loss.

I've tested the cable with an ethernet tester, and
it's fine. Does anyone
have any suggestions other than moving the G4
closer to the hub? I'm
connected via 24 AWG CAT 5 8-wire cable. Is there
anything better?"

1 Try a different plug port on the router first.
Maybe it has a problem.

2 Change out the cable it may be bad and you have
not detected it. Eathernet cable can be over 200
feet and still work fine. Also make certain it is
not a crossover cable or that the router port
switch (on some routers) is not set to cross it over.

3 Maybe the port on the computer is not so hot-see
what happens with that computer on the 4 foot
cable. This will also confirm that all the
settings are correct.

Personally I think it's a bum cable-good luck.

jj