[G4] G4 fan noise cure

RH dv at on101.com
Sat Dec 21 11:40:16 PST 2002

Sorry, but that is just ignorant -- and btw -- the Apple standard line. The
issue is not decibel elvel, it's acoustic whine caused by improper case
design for the components installed. Nobody needs to learn about their fast
processors produce heat. That's about on the order of saying PC's consume
power.

Don't dismiss what you don't know about... The G4 is a fanstastic machine,
no one disputes that. But in packing all they did inot that case, they
failed on the acoustic design -- and that could have been prevented. Lack of
acoustic dampening materials. A CPU case fan that slots in vs screwed in
with acoustic dampeneing material -- there is none. Power supply housing
makinmg metl to metal contact with G4 interior case. No acoustic insulation.

In every example shown above, frustrated owners have addressed these simple
mods, and have dramatically reduced the acoustic noise -- and the whining --
the high pitched vibrational whining whuch causes many people headaches.

If they don't cause you headaches, great, lucky you. But when you get people
all over the world corroborating these problems, plus numerous disassembly,
inspection, and modification efforts documented with photos and sound files,
it is actually quit easy to conclude: That do people want from Apple? They
want acoustic design that matches their CPU performance. Is that asking a
lot? It used to be Steve Jobs job one.