[G4] G4 fan noise cure

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Sun Dec 22 20:50:46 PST 2002

>On Saturday, December 21, 2002, at 02:40  PM, RH wrote:
>
>>Sorry, but that is just ignorant -- and btw -- the Apple standard line. The
>>issue is not decibel level, it's acoustic whine caused by improper case
>>design for the components installed.

>On 12/22/02 at 8:20 PM -0500, sr ferenczy wrote:
>im not trying to say loud G4s shouldnt be dealt with, i am just
>wondering when the last time you sat down and listened to the
>competition-wintels arent quiet.

Some are, some aren't. When Digital Media Designer compared the Dual
1.25 to some PCs, the reviewer mentioned that the 3 GHz Dell was
"church-mouse" quiet, while pointing out one of the negatives of the
new PowerMacs was their noisy fans. The Silent PC Website is one
place for information about quiet computing. In discussing the
various manufacturers, it says this about Dell:

>Dell is an important computer systems and information technology
>company, ... and among the initiated also known for some clever
>designed low-noise computers. That Dell is a conscious manufacturer
>also shows in that they are one of very few presenting industry
>standard acoustics declarations to end customers.

<http://home.swipnet.se/tr/silence.html>

Of course, Apple is known for making quiet computers since the
beginning. That is why I am sorely disappointed with my new Dual 1
GHz. It can drown out every other Power Mac in the house from 2 rooms
away. There is 660 Hz hum from a poorly installed case fan, and a
whiney 1200 Hz resonance from the dual fan power supply that is
intolerable. This is nothing like the 100-300 Hz whoosh made by
moving air, regardless of volume levels. I barely care when my 8500
with 3 hard drives and auxillary fans shuts down, but the relief when
my Dual G4 shuts down is amazing.

The noise may be expected and acceptable in a $1500 PC, but it is not
in a $2500 "BMW" machine from a company that markets itself as a
maker of quiet computers. The fact that Apple won't offer the
"industry standard acoustics declarations" for these machines (not
even to see if claims of excessive noise are within Apple's specs) is
a telling ommission on their part.