[G4] Did I miss my bus?

T. Brown / groucho btgroucho at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 24 08:51:28 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 24, 2002, at 08:38  AM, jeff small wrote:

> I'm installing an additional IDE drive in my dual 1ghz.  Does it
> matter which bus it's installed on?  I thought I had read somewhere
> that there was a protocol for adding drives; I can't find any
> reference now.

It would be best to put it on the same buss as the original drive.
There is a slight speed hit if you put it on the CD/DVD drive buss. I
do have a drive in the atapi chain, but it is for MP3 / iTunes storage.
The drive is a WD 80 gig special edition
with an 8 meg cache. I notice no speed hit with it for that purpose.
With other drives though, there was a noticeable difference.

HTH,
groucho