[G4] Did I miss my bus?

jeff small youaregod at attbi.com
Tue Dec 24 12:15:48 PST 2002

To clarify,  here is the question (phrased much more clearly) and the
answer from Apple tech forums:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?12@23.uJ84a1w3ehL.4@.3bbd3c47/1

  Very educational (for me anyway):

I'm adding a WD SE 120 to my machine. I'm putting the original IBM 80
on the ATA 66 bus, and the new drive on the ATA 100. My understanding
up to this point has been that *all* drives should be set to cable
select.

I just read a comment by Damien in another article stating that each
drive should be set to master for optimum performance. Is this an
official Apple recommendation? Is there one?

If I set both drives to master, should they be "master only" and then
"master + slave" if I add additional drives to their respective
busses later?

Thanks ahead of time
jeff in seattle

Answered:

Hey Jeff,

  IDE only access' a single drive per channel at a time. Damien's
point is that when you add a second drive it is best for performance
to add that drive to the second channel as that channel's Master
drive so that both drives on the computer can access concurrently. If
both drives are installed as Master/Slave or Cable Select on the same
channel/cable then they would alternate access and be half as fast
when both are active.

  I personally prefer to set my drives with Master/Slave jumpers
instead of leaving that to cable select. Cable Select is a method
where the bus automatically sets Master/Slave. The end result is the
same if everything is working but I feel comfortable setting them
manually during the install.

  The two musts are that you choose which way you are going to go and
stick with that not mixing the drives with one set Cable Select and
the other set with a jumper to Master or Slave. And the end connector
is always used for the Master Drive.

  The setup you are planning sounds exactly appropriate for best
performance. Take your pick on whether to set your drives both as
Master or as Cable Select and you'll most likely get the same result.
(Damien was referring to the fact that a drive is still the Master
drive if it is installed physically in the Master position on a cable
no matter if the jumpers are set Cable Select)

  And yes, Apple did say that setting Master/Slave instead of Cable
Select is an approved method. I choose to manually set it that way
out of surety that it will work the way I want it to work.

Rick
MacGurus.com