Any fairly priced graphics cards for G4?

Nicolas Kinnan nasw at pcmagic.net
Sat Dec 28 23:28:26 PST 2002

Howdy,

I presently have an original ATI Radeon in a G4/533DP and I was
thinking of upgrading in the hopes of gaining a few frames per second
on some of my favourite games.  The problem is that Mac upgrades seem
few and expensive!  The prices I've seen on Radeon 8500 Mac Editions
with 64MB of memory are often close to or more than twice as much as PC
versions with 128MB it seems.

What I'm wondering is:  Are there any workarounds to this?  Can PC
cards be "flashed" to work in a Mac?  Aren't they all the same,
hardware-wise?  One would think the right drivers could solve
everything, but I have my doubts as Mac Edition 8500's seem to be
recommended an awful lot and this worries me.  What I want is a fast
128MB card that comes in at substantially under $180.00.  That can't
possibly be too much to ask, there's not much to them and the R&D costs
are likely paid for by sales to the PC market long before the boxes
saying "Mac Edition" are ever laid out.

Any readers from ATI or Invdia are eagerly invited to explain their
companies' price gouging.

Thanks,

Alex