[G4] troublesome Sawtooth

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Sat Nov 23 01:15:10 PST 2002

It sounds to me like you failed to properly seat the processor chip in the
socket.

I had a similar event while testing removable processor cards in some PM 7300
machines. Once I checked the card and FIRMLY pushed it in properly, the chime
returned and it booted just like it was supposed to.

As to the problem of not shutting down by the power button, just go ahead and
pull the power cord from the machine or the wall (whichever is closer to
hand). That won't hurt the machine at all since you are not actually running
any program and have files active that might be lost.

After checking the card for proper seating, hit the power button again to
start up. If it still doesn't start up, you have another problem that might
need to be seen at a shop. If it starts up, run Apple System Profiler to
check the performance of the new processor card.