Troublesome Sawtooth 2

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Mon Nov 25 02:43:11 PST 2002

Some new info.

Though the Sawtooth was diagnosed as having a bad processor, the techs who
did it weren't too thorough.

I swapped the processor into another Sawtooth and it booted fine. So
obviously not the processor.

Back to the testing bench.

When I try to boot the troublesome Sawtooth G4/400, it gives the impression
of booting, in that the front LED comes on, the fan comes on, there appears
to be a "click" at boot (no sound though, as if Mute were on) and looking
through one of the rear PCI ports, I think there's a red LED interior light
that must be from somewhere on the logic board.

No startup "bong" and no video (connected to a working monitor with good
cables). Can't tell if the hard drive spins up, but I think so.

Attempted solutions:
- I swapped in a working video card
- I swapped in good working RAM
- I swapped in a (different) good working processor
- checked that all cables were connected solidly to the logic board
(speaker, etc.).

Same results. No "bong", no video.

At this point, anyone betting on the logic board?

Any help much appreciated. Please email directly if you get a flash on
inspiration that might help.

Chris