Troublesome Sawtooth 2

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Tue Nov 26 06:11:29 PST 2002

on 11/26/02 14:32, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> I know that this is simple, but did you zap the PRAM?
>
> mark
>
> On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 05:43  AM, <csean at poc.it> wrote:
>
>> Some new info.
>>
>> Though the Sawtooth was diagnosed as having a bad processor, the techs
>> who
>> did it weren't too thorough.

I did swap in a new PRAM battery and reset the PMU switch located near the
battery.

As per instructions online, I removed the old battery, waited a couple of
minutes and then swapped in a new one, then waited a minute and reset the
PMU switch. Waited another minute or so and then plugged the G4 in and tried
to start up. Same result: no startup chime, no video; but the front LED, the
fan and the HD did turn on.

Going down the repair checklist, the only things left now are the logic
board and the power supply. Ouch. Unfortunately I don't have any spares for
those.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Chris

P.S. Too quick on the trigger finger, I sent that too quick.

I wanted to ask re. the PMU switch: a lot of people say resetting it can
solve different problems, like mine. To reset it, is it enough to press it
with your finger? When I pushed it it seemed to depress correctly, but then
I read that you had to use something like a toothpick and I thought maybe I
didn't reset it correctly.
I did remember to reset it only ONCE, having read that if you push it twice
it could cause problems. I assume they mean to press it once "per attempted
repair"? i.e., you reset it, then try to startup, but if that fails then
you're back to square one and after any subsequent changes in hardware (new
RAM, video card, reseating processor, etc.), you're free to reset the PMU
again?