[G4] Backup Strategies -- CCC

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 5 15:22:52 PST 2003

On 4/3/03, David Crandon <tdc at attbi.com> wrote:

> OK, so this will overwrite my previously cloned copy, correct? This is
> what I would want it to do.
>
> The thing I'm still not sure of is this: suppose there are files on the
> previously cloned disk that are not on my current main drive, that have
> been deleted from my main drive in the last month. I would not know what
> these files are because of the myriad of changes to system software and
> my regular programs that have occurred since my last use of CCC a month
> ago. Some of these files may indeed be invisible as well.
>
> Using your suggestion of making sure I haven't checked the "Delete Items
> not on source" options in preferences would still leave these type of
> files on the cloned disk correct?

Not really, checking the Delete items option will cause CCC to delete, from
the target, any source-selected  items before cloning (see
<http://65.69.94.113/forums/viewtopic.php?t=910&sid=93f677e30b1570d070a242d7c0aade8b>).

> And if there are invisible system type
> files on there that now shouldn't be (because of system software updates
> I've performed since then), this could create some sort of problem or
> conflict when I put a new cloned copy on the backup drive, correct?

Possibly. I surmised that one could launch CCC, examine what's listed at
the target's root level, open up terminal, do a ls -al, and then remove
(rm) any root-level items that weren't listed on the source. Those are
probably the only things that could hose your clone.