[G4] Can't get G4 to connect to the Internet

alberto de leon adeleonc at axtel.net
Sat Apr 12 13:50:07 PDT 2003

on 4/12/03 10:43 AM, Douglas McCabe at douglasmccabe at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I bought a used G4 (400 MHz) last week and registered with an ISP to provide
> an Internet connection and entered all the details provided by the ISP to
> configure the machine for online use, but try as I might I can't get the
> machine to connect to the ISP server.  Could there be a problem with the
> internal modem.  What modem is built into the G4.  In the Control Panel
> settings for Modem, a long list of modem types is provided in a pull-down
> menu. Should the modem configuration be for an Apple Internal Modem v30 or
> v94, or for some other model?  Could the problem lie elsewhere? My telephone
> line seems to be working normally, and I plugged the connection from the
> telephone into the G4 socket with the telephone symbol on the rear panel of
> the machine.  When I attempt to make contact with the ISP number, I hear a
> series of rapid tones at different pitches followed by single tone at two
> second intervals. Is there a simple test I can perform that will enable me
> to test whether the internal modem is working properly.
>
> Hope someone can help as I'm becoming very frustrated at not being able to
> get Internet access.
>
> Regards.
>
> Douglas

> Express yourself with cool emoticons http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
>

> ----------
> Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest.

> Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras |
> --Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!    |

> http://www.osxfaq.com

Doug... First of all you MUST upgrade your modem & follow the
instructions!!!

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?val=+apple
+modem+updater&button.x=14&button.y=7&type=downloads&nodes=&dateModified=&ge
ography=&type=smartSearch&nodes=&dateModified=&geography=

Quite a Link!!! then go to modem Scripts and select Apple internal 56K
version 34 and give it a try...

I think the problem is not your phone line anyway call yout telephone
provider and ask them to clean your phone line it will take ablut a minute
and you will experience a huge cahnge!!!

Hope this will help you

Best regards... Alberto de León