[G4] A dial up modem that connects by way of ethernet

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Wed Apr 23 05:23:29 PDT 2003

>Has anyone seen an dial up modem that hooks to a network via ethernet.

I've been looking into similar solution. I'd like to be able to dial
out from any of my ethernet-ed computers without manually switching
the RJ11 connection which is now accomplished with a simple rotary
box. I was wondering about a router normally used for Cable and DSL
service (connects via ethernet) and which contains a modem port for
"emergencies" when the DSL or Cable service is down. Just plug a
modem into the router and ignore the broadband capablities
altogether. One such router is the Asante FR3004LC.

In this case would the TCP/IP selection be changed from PPP to Ethernet?
Does this sound like a solution?

DaleH