[G4] Volume structure.

Brian Conner brianconner at vision-video.com
Tue Apr 29 07:02:09 PDT 2003

The easiest way is to boot while holding down the Shift key. Depress it when
you hear the chime and then you can let it up when you see the rotating
clock thingy start up under the Apple (is there an official name for that?).
This will do a Safe Boot, which is the equivalent of what Wayne is referring
to.

The fsck command is done after you start up in Single-User Mode (boot while
holding down the S key) and usually you type "fsck -y" (without the quotes).
The -y says "Answer Yes to all questions."

Either of these methods will run a First Aid test and repair of your boot
disk partition. The advantage of fsck - y is that you can run it multiple
times until all is clear. The advantage of Safe Boot is that it happens
invisibly and you don't have to mess with the command line.

Brian Conner