OS9 Applications Menu to OSX via -Assist

Richard Kriss kriss at qsl.net
Fri Aug 1 05:53:24 PDT 2003

> OS9's Apple Menu

With regard to the comments about missing the OS9 Apple Menu, the thing I
really missed was the pulled down applications menu showing active
applications in the upper right of  menu bar. I got it back by using a
freeware item called X-Assist and it gives you this capability plus a lot of
other extra launcher features.

Try it, you may like it.  The reviews on VT are excellent.

Dick

ps: I even added it to my startup applications so it is always running.

Go to Version Tracker for  X-Assist 0.5.1

>From the X-Assist Read Me file:

What is X-Assist?

X-Assist was created to assist in the much loved but missing features of OS
9 in OSX. Specifically:
    - Application Switcher Menu (top right corner of screen)
        X-Assist has a similar implementation.
    - More than a 5 item "Recent Applications" menu.
        X-Assist has no "limit".
    - The ability to add personal hierarchies of items in an OS9-like
"apple" menu.
        X-Assist allows users to add any hierarchy into a "Shortcuts"
submenu.
    - An extensible "Control Strip" like plugin architecture.
        X-Assist supports Objective-C (NSBundle) plugins.
        They are easy to write, and examples "SetVolume" and "MP3 Player"
        plugins are provided in this distribution.
    - OS 9 window behavior - when you switch applications by clicking in a
window,
      all windows for that application are shown. This behavior has changed
in OSX
      and can be a bit annoying.
        X-Assist brings back the OS9 windowing functionality and also
        allows you to toggle between modes.