[G4] Will a newer video card help?

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Sat Aug 2 02:40:27 PDT 2003

on 30-07-2003 00:15, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> This is a question I've been meaning to ask as well. Does anyone know
> what cards will work in the 2x AGP slot vs. the 4x AGP in later G4s?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> -Hal

Check out barefeats.com, under Sawtooth, for a report on different video
card upgrades for the Sawtooth.
Your best bet is the Radeon 8500, which is perfectly compatible with the 2x
AGP on the Sawtooth; I believe it's the only AGP video card that offes dual
monitor support for the Sawtooth: DVI and VGA. Note: ADC is not compatible
with the Sawtooth, so the Geforce Titanium (and other ADC cards) would be a
waste. The Geforce 4 MX works fine on a Sawooth, though obviously only with
a VGA monitor, as the ADC port is useless (N.B. I say "useless", though
there may be adapters available today that provide the power to the ADC port
that is lacking on the Sawtooth motherboard).

The Radeon 8500 would be a good upgrade for the Sawtooth.
To save some money, you could even consider getting a PC Radeon 8500 and
flashing its firmware to make it Mac compatible. Lots of info online re.
doing this and lots of successful reports. Don't know if there's enough cost
difference in the US to make it worthwhile, but in Europe the difference in
price between the Mac and PC versions is often in the $90-100 range.

Chris