Initializing a new Hard drive/OSX

Richard Kriss kriss at qsl.net
Tue Aug 5 06:51:43 PDT 2003

On 8/5/03 7:13 AM, "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
wrote:

> I can see
> the disk when I open Disk Set-up, but it will not let me initialize
> it. I thought I could initialize the new Hard drive with the OSX 10.2
> Installation disk, but cannot find a way to do it.

You have two options:

1. Boot from the Mac OS9 CD and do it from there or

2. Boot from the new OSX Drive, copy your OS9 System Folder to you OSX drive
and open Disk Utility and tell it to erase the other drive. Be sure you
check the box to install OS9 drivers.

I don't understand why  you want OS9 on one drive and OSX on the other drive
I keep them both on the same drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner as a backup
utility. It works great and having a cloned drive has saved me many times