[G4] Sawtooth 350mhz Video upgrade: GeForce 4mx, or GeForce3 ?

Bill brewrat at twcny.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 07:01:03 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 10:55  AM, kcor24 at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 08:07 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:
>
>> The nVidia Geforce 3 with 64MB is NOT the Geforce 4MX's little
>> brother. It
>> is actually much more powerful than the Geforce 4MX. I don't think
>> OWC has
>> ever had the Geforce 3 for $75, probably more like $175 minimum. As I
>> mentioned, OWC does have the Geforce 4 MX 32MB (note that the Geforce
>> 4 MX
>> also comes in a 64MB version) for $75 or so. Still a decent deal,
>> especially
>> if upgrading from the Rage 128 and if you want to get an ADC monitor
>> (NOT
>> with a Sawtooth, though).
>>

> Is the nVidia Geforce 3 with 64mb too much of a good thing for a
> Sawtooth 350?
>
> Would the Geforce 4 MX be more compatible with this old Sawtooth?
>
> We'll be using Virtual PC to run a few programs. One, Earthviewer,
> requires a nVidia card.
>
> TIA
> Kathleen

Upgrading the video card for your Mac may not do much for your Virtual
PC applications. I remember reading that Virtual PC does not support
video cards for running PC games, I do not think that Windows
applications can use the video cards feature. If this is why you are
upgrading the video card, you might want to poke around the VirtualPC
support site and see if there is an answer before you shell out the
bucks.

Bill