[G4] G5 and photoshop

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Aug 8 08:43:24 PDT 2003

Matt's 2¢ isn't worth 2¢. He completely misunderstands and
underestimates the value of the 1 GHz bus and the fact that the OS will
never need to be 64-bit for applications to be 64-bit right away with
trivial recompilations that Apple has made simple for developers to
deliver quickly. 64-bit Photoshop will be delivered as a free update
later this month before most G5 buyers even get their computers.

Apple is implementing a very clever and INSTANT migration path to
64-bit computing that will deliver major 32-bit AND 64- bit performance
punch immediately with no need for a 64-bit OS EVER.

Apple has done all the BETA testing on the G5 PowerMac. Buyers will be
getting post beta product immediately.

Just my ten dollars.

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 07:34  AM, sr ferenczy wrote:

> in order to have backwards support of current 32 bit apps (with no
> noticeable slowdown) the OS cant be fully 64 bit. this really doesnt
> affect performance, only compatibility.
>
> as far as 64 bit apps, yes, PS will probably show huge gains in
> performance from such a change, but this doesnt discount the overall
> ability of the G5s (though we will have to wait for real world tests)
> the 1ghz bus alone makes these machines worth the money. sure, at this
> point the G5 might not be that much faster mhz for mhz compared to the
> G4s, but it gets information fed to it over 5 times faster!! we now
> get to enjoy the true power of the processor, not the limiting of a
> slow ass bus. (remember too, moto still is unsure as to whether the
> bus, let alone a 1 ghz.)
>
>>  I would wait until there are native applications.
>
> all 32 bit apps are native, wait no longer.
>
> sandor
>

> On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:23  AM, Matthew Wensley wrote:
>
>> IMHO, there is no rush to upgrade to G5 for 2 reasons:
>>
>> 1) The OS is not fully 64 bit yet
>>
>> 2) no 64 bit programmes yet.
>>
>> If I was working the Adobe programmes to make a living, I would wait
>> until there are native applications.
>> Let someone else beta the new "iron".
>>
>> My 2 cents
kunga10 (AIM)
kunga47 (Yahoo Messenger with Cross-Platform dial-up Video sans audio
on Macs)