Apple's New G5 Marketing Approach

jgvp jgvp at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 12 07:10:47 PDT 2003

A very odd incident occurred yesterday evening. My wife called me to
the phone as Eric of Apple wished to speak to me. Not having
communicated in any way with Apple recently, I was intrigued with why
they would want to phone me. Eric stated: " I hear you're thinking
about buying a G5 ?" I replied "Yes, you're right about that, at the
moment I just happen to be thinking about it !"
Naturally, you have thoughts running through your head such as: "where
did he get this kind of information from ? However, whenever I asked
such a question, I would hear Eric say " this line is breaking up, I
couldn't hear what you just said properly." I wasn't using my cellular
so any break up must have been caused at his end (?). Since we weren't
getting anywhere in this kind of scenario, I let Eric know that I have
a favourite retailer from whom I now buy all things Apple. He replied
that I should bear in mind that any orders placed now are running two
to two-and-a-half months late. When I replied that I would bear that in
mind the connection finally ended with the disconnect sound.

Now, I have no way of knowing whether this was some sort of joke or
not, but my call display indicated that the call originated from
Unknown name at 1-916-399-7992, a long distance call from California of
all places. Since the number of orders for the G5 is such that there is
a back-log of >2 months, why would Apple see a need to seek additional
sales by using techniques that, so far as I am concerned, are rather
extraordinary to say the least ?