[G4] G5 or G4

Vernon LeMoignan arrow at oanet.com
Fri Aug 15 10:33:25 PDT 2003

64 bit does not double the speed of 32 bit. We are talking about 64 bit
mathematical computations, not 64 bit
instructions. The G5 will NOT be executing the equivalent of 2 32 bit
instructions per clock cycle.

Is the G5 faster? yes. But only in certain instances with highly
optimized code. The 64 bits will allow the G5 to
do high end processes that were restricted to 64 bit workstations. In
fact, if the code is not optimized latency from the
g5's cache and much longer pipeline can cause bottlenecks in processing.

When NASA tested the G5 in comparison to the G4 they found that Mhz for
Mhz the processors were very close.

although the 1Ghz system bus is impressive ( not really 1Ghz but 250mhz
with multiple channels and other magic thrown in) it
won't be like 5 times faster or anything, maybe, maybe twice as fast.

In addition having two dual processor work stations can be more useful
than having the power of two workstations in one. Just depends on the
actual environment your working in.

Vern.