[G4] USB 2.0

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sun Aug 17 15:08:37 PDT 2003

At 1:41 PM -0500 8/17/03, LRugolo at centurytel.net wrote:
>Is a card available to upgrade my computer to 2.0?

Yes,  I installed one in my Quicksilver G4.  Also, an extra Firewire
card (to get more ports).

>Is it difficult to install this myself (I can add RAM chips but have
>never installed a card)?

No sweat.  You have to make sure that you press the card in very
firmly (no side "ears") to indicate that it is in all the way as with
RAM chips).  Also, you have to remove a little cover plate at the
back of the computer with a screwdriver and then re-secure the card
with the screw after it is installed (it's the end of the card that
has the ports in it).  Depending on the model, you might also have to
connect the card to the internal power chain (use an extra connector
on the long pair of wires that services your hard disks with power),
but I think that the newer generation of cards do not require this.
So, it might take you five minutes longer to install than a memory
chip, but no big deal.

--Steve