[G4] Black boxes (was: IBM chip fabs)

Jeremy Kezer jeremy at kezer.net
Fri Aug 22 07:39:42 PDT 2003

Joseph,

>P.S. Speaking of nice, new, black shipping boxes.... a 12-inch
>PowerBook G4 we ordered for a member of our group a couple of weeks
>ago was mysteriously delayed by one week after an initially early
>ship date. It arrived yesterday, in a black box. The graphics look
>similar to the ones on the G5 box, as portrayed on the Apple
>homepage (I say portrayed, but no one we know has seen a _real_ G5
>box, right?). I guess the ever style-conscious Apple wants to be
>certain all the boxes in its stores are the same color.

I believe the 12" and 17" PowerBooks were the first to ship in the
matte-black box - my 17" PowerBook came in one, and it was ordered
right at the 17"'s release.  I recently unpacked an eMac and it was
still in it's white box, which makes sense since the eMac is white.

Perhaps aluminum shipping boxes are too expensive...

Jeremy