[G4] Editing PDFs - klunky solution found

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Fri Aug 29 01:27:02 PDT 2003

At 01.43 -0500 03-08-29, Brooks Graham wrote:

>Thanks go to everybody who gave their suggestions on this one.
>
>I've ended up just using Photoshop.  The original "form" got
>rasterized, but I found that as long as I didn't rasterize text which I
>added, it remained in vector form and was still sharp when I did the
>"Save as PDF" in the print dialog.  With a little tweaking, I got the
>file size down to just over 800K per page (the original file was 75K).
>I sent the original file to a friend that has Illustrator, and it
>opened perfectly.  It appears that Illustrator would have been the
>ideal solution here, (assuming that the "Print to PDF" function works
>in Illustrator the same as Photoshop (and _almost_ all other OS X
>apps!)) but I'm not willing to spend that much at the moment.

Illustrator is not really that good, as it opens up only one page of
the PDF (it's a one-page lay-out program). I have tried opening
multipage pdfs in illustrator and strange things happened. On the
other hand Adobe says it should be possible, and on their support
page there is a tip on how to script illustrator to open multipage
pdfs, but I haven't had the need to go that deep in to the matter yet.

On the other hand I am very dissapointed to hear that Acrobat Reader
stops you from printing to pdf. That sucks! (I can't try it myself, I
don't have a form pdf.)

/ Vicki